Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Nap Time

I am posting this message for feedback. I need suggestions for nap time. Brock just will not really take a nap during the day. He might fall asleep in the car for 10-20 minutes but as soon as I try to get him out of the car and into his bed he cries. If I rock him and nap with him then he will nap. I want him to nap alone during the afternoon...is that unrealistic? He is great at going to bed at night. He goes right to sleep with hardly any fussing. He sleeps about 11 hours at night. Does that mean that he is not sleepy during the day? If you have any suggestions, please pass them along. I will take any advice that I can get. Next week might be nap boot camp at our house :-)

We are off to the beach tomorrow with Brad's family so we will have lots to report and pictures to post when we get back. Have a great rest of the week and weekend!

3 comments:

Joy said...

Charlie is already giving up his AM nap, and fighting his afternoon one. We use the cry it out method. (10-15 minute increments at a time). Some people don't agree with it, but it has worked well for us. Once I realized that he wasn't hurting, dirty, hungry, etc etc, he just wanted me, then I was okay with it. It is pretty miserable for about 3-4 days, but it gets better. I put plenty of toys to one side of his crib now too, so even if he doesn't sleep, he has to stay in his crib for "quiet-time" and entertain himself. This has worked for us really well, it is just hard for those first 2 or so days until he gets used to it. (But I am envious of you -- Charlie hardly ever sleeps that long at night -- it is a SUPER night if he gets 8-9 hours!) -- joy

Alison said...

As the parent of an easy sleeper (Levi) and a not-so-easy sleeper (Kara), I've learned that you just have to go with what works! With Kara, she has to cry it out. Levi has been protesting his naps lately, but if I give him a book and some milk, he'll drink that and be asleep in 2 minutes (and then sleep for 3 hours - crazy kid). I'm assuming Brock is still in a crib, so maybe try giving him a book and a drink?? Then just let him cry! As a caveat to this, I never rocked my kids after their books, so they don't know what their missing :)!

Leslie Harwell said...

That stinks! No that is not too much to ask (for him to nap in the afternoon). I would think as a 16 month old that he still needs daytime sleep. Are you letting him cry himself to sleep? Brooks is not as good as Madelyn is at naps and I have to go with the 20 min. cry rule. He normally will fall asleep within about 10 to 15 min of crying. He does this about 1 or 2 days of the week. Hope you are getting some good advice.